Saturday, April 11, 2009

I have some very fine roots growing in my flower beds. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

I think they are from some old trees that have been take out years ago. Every year I struggle with these little fine roots. I would really like to get rid of them but not damage my soil as I am ready to plat flowers in the beds.
I have some very fine roots growing in my flower beds. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?
Roto till it. My Mantis will till and chop roots up to 1/2%26quot; diameter. she doesn%26#039;t really like those big ones too much, but gives them hades. Great organic matter stays in your garden.





Dig them out by hand - aka: hire a high school kid to do it and save your back. (See the YA %26quot;pets/horses%26quot; venue, lots of kids want work to buy their own horsie.)





Battle them and plant away, they%26#039;ll rot in time. Again, good organics.





Want to borrow my %26quot;Manty Mae%26quot; Mantis? ( Yes, my tiller is named as are my car, certain plants, dogs, home....it%26#039;s a Reynwater thing. )
Reply:I had the same thing, and I just pulled them out by hand if I could. Some were very long with lots and lots of little tendrils growing from them.





I think they may have been from the oak tree, which is still in the yard. Every once in awhile, I%26#039;ll see a small sprout that looks like an oak leaf or two, and I pull it up. It comes out of the ground quite easily.





The roots do not seem to affect the other plants in the garden. I removed what I could when I planted, and I don%26#039;t know what%26#039;s underneath anymore. Haven%26#039;t seen any signs of anything other than an errant weed or two and a few grass blades.skin disease

No comments:

Post a Comment